Monday, November 24, 2008

Opera















It wasn't until gr 9 did I start truely to like much older music. My liking for classical music had always remained the same through out my life, though it did grow after taking up piano in gr 8. In the summer after gr. 9 Grad, that was when my interest in opera truely came alive. The cause was, oddly enough, the Phantom of the Opera movie adaptation. Coincidently a TV series called Bathroom Diva's started airing a couple months later. So every time my parents would leave the house, I'd practice hours and hours on end. The show greatly helped, but it was short and did not have a continuing season, which greatly disappointed me.
Anyways, since then I've embraced Opera fully, though no one else in my house really likes it, except my mom but she's not a music person per say. I've come to think of it as the most passionate and powerful forms of music known to mankind :P.
Pictures above of are: Juan Diego Florez (tenor), Charlotte Church (soprano), Federica Von Stade (soprano) and Paul Potts (tenor). Just a small sample of some opera singers I admire.
I also love and adore Beverly Sills, for her charasmatic enegery that comes out through her eyes and facial expressions when she sings. I do enjoy listening to Pavarati and Sarah Brightman (I fell in love with her 'Lucia di Lammermoor' in the film of Fifth Element. When I first watched it I didn't even know humans were capable for singing like that), and on the occasion I listen to Emmy Rossum's works from POTO.

~Eilis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Opera is cool...not my cup of tea but it is nice. :)